- Management of patients with disorders related to general neurology including Epilepsy, Movement Disorders, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson?s disease and Stroke.
- Provision of specialized care to patients presenting to the Preliminary Care Unit with a TIA. These patients will be seen by a Consultant Neurologist within 48 hours if very urgent or within 1 week of presentation and a comprehensive evaluation will be carried out of patients presenting with TIA
- Stroke Unit ? Assessment and initial rehabilitation of Stroke patients. A Multidisciplinary Team trained in the Care of Stroke Patients will care for these patients.
- Conducting of Clinics on General Neurology, Headache and TIA. In the Headache Clinic we offer a detailed assessment for patients with Chronic Headache and treatments.
- Acute Stroke Thrombolysis (clot busting therapy for strokes) will commence shortly.
Neurology is the medical specialty dealing with disorders of the Nervous System, which includes the brain, spinal cord and peripheral nerves (nerves outside of the brain and spinal cord). We provide specialist service for people with neurological conditions.
Neurology Unit of the TH Peradeniya was founded by the emeritus Professor Nimal Senanayake.
The Neurology team lead by the consultant Neurologist sees patients who have been admitted through the Preliminary Care Unit, T.H. Peradeniya, with neurological conditions (or suspected conditions) and those who have been referred to us by other consultants in the hospital and from other hospitals in the area. The team also sees patients in the specialized neurology clinic.
We offer a range of tests to diagnose neurological conditions including MRI scans, CT scans and neurophysiological tests such as brain wave studies, tests on the nerves and muscles and tests of nerve responses (for which we liaise with the specialist consultant neurophysiologist at T.H. Kandy). We refer patients to TH Kandy for neuro- surgery.
Our team led by the consultant neurologist is well trained and we offer comprehensive specialist service for people with epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, movement disorders, Parkinson’s disease, visual problems related to neurological conditions, chronic headaches, tremors, brain injury and stroke, which includes diagnosis, treatment, support and rehabilitation where appropriate.
Our team delivers high quality care and seeks to give all of our patients the best possible treatment.
Our services :
|First floor (OPD building) – Clinic room No. 1
Telephone 0812388001 (Ext) 239
|General Neurology clinic||Tuesday||08.00 am – 12.00 pm||Dr (Miss) Nadee Rathnayake|
|Headache clinic||Tuesday||08.00 am – 12.00 pm|
|First floor – Ward 12
Telephone 0812388001 (Ext) 312
|TIA clinic**||Monday to Friday||10.00 am – 12.00 pm||Dr (Miss) Nadee Rathnayake|
* Patients with features suggestive of stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA) such as Facial weakness, arm or leg weakness, speech disturbance of acute onset should come to the Preliminary care unit as soon as possible and they will be referred for specialised care for us from the PCU