- Provision of 24 hour on call service to ensure emergency radiology service
- The department provide routine imaging services such as x-rays and USS for both inward, intensive care and clinic patients
- Provision of ultrasound imaging and ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) for patients with breast and thyroid disorders to aid early detection of cancer.
- Contrast studies of gastro-intestinal tract (barium meal, barium enema, small bowel contrast studies), hepato-billiray tract (cholangiogram, Percutaneous transhepatic cholangiography), genitourinary system (IVU, MCUG, HSG) and vascular system (arteriogram, venograms) are being undertaken
- Management of inward patients by performing ultrasound guided therapeutic/diagnostic aspirations, drainage procedures and biopsies, etc.
- Provision of interventional radiological facilities such as angioplasty, stenting, embolization.
Radiology is a specialty that deals with imaging modalities to identify (diagnose) and treat (interventions) diseases of human body. In radiology different types of imaging technologies are employed such as x rays, ultrasound scanning, computed tomography (CT scanning) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
Our mission is to provide a high quality medical imaging and image-guided therapeutic services to improve the quality of patient?s lives, through expertise in medical imaging and excellence in teaching.
Dr. V. Nikapotha, Dr. G.K. Warusawithana and Dr. Premini Amerasinghe were instrumental for incorporation of radiology service in the TH Peradeniya. Until 1984 we only had plain radiography but with the guidance of Dr. Premini Amerasinghe scope of radiology unit was expanded specially with introduction of ultrasound and angiographic facilities.
Dr. Badra Hevawitharana (from 1994 up to now) was pioneered in extending ultrasonographic services to other hospitals in central province such as base hospital Gampola, Matale, Nawalapitiya and Nuwaraeliya. In addition, services were provided to hospitals in Dambulla, Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa until radiologists were appointed to those stations. She introduced the 24/7 radiology service with a consultant being on call at Peradeniya, the first such service in Sri Lanka.
Dr Shanthini Rosairo (from 1998 up to now) was enriched and complemented the service function in the department, particularly enhancing the ultrasound evaluation of thyroid disorders.
Dr Saumya Jayabahu the first trainee to become a board certified radiologist served the department for a brief period from 2008 to 2012.
Our team comprises of 2 consultant Radiologists, 5 medical officers, postgraduate trainees in Radiology 10 radiographers, 4 nursing officers and other supportive staff.
We carried out undergraduate and postgraduate training in Radiology. We are well recognized post graduate training centre of PGIM Sri Lanka.
Our Services :