- Rehabilitation service for alcohol addicted
- Group therapy for social phobia and other mental illnesses
- Cognitive behavioral therapy for obsessive compulsive disorders (OCD), depression, Anorexia nervosa and personality disorders
- Group therapy to develop occupational skills for patients on day to day activities
The Department of Psychiatry was established in the Faculty of Medicine, Peradeniya in 1971. Professor M.A.A Rodrigo who was the first psychiatrist to establish a psychiatric unit in a general hospital in Sri Lanka. He established a Psychiatry unit in General Hospital Kandy and the first head of the Psychiatric unit, of the University of Peradeniya.
Teaching hospital Peradeniya is the clinical unit, which is affiliated to the Department of Psychiatry. The department’s functions include teaching and research but a greater part of its time is taken up by the clinical work. The department conducts teaching program for undergraduate medical students and postgraduates.
The department is also engaged in several research programmes to study alcohol and drug consumption in the country; suicide patterns and prevention; community mental health interventions and outcome; sex therapy; child psychiatry and mental retardation.
We provides acute care, community and rehabilitation care psychiatric patients in the central province.The unit provide in-patient care and range of outpatient service to people. Acute care is provided by the adult acute care units (ward 6 & 9) and ward 12, neuropsychiatry unit.
Our team comprises of 5 consultant psychiatrists, post graduate trainees of psychiatry (a senior registrar, two registrars), two nursing sisters, thirty staff grade nurses, one social worker, two occupational therapists and twenty nursing assistants.
01. Provide acute care and follow up care (clinic) for our patients.
02. Open care unit provide care for children and patient with neuropsychiatry conditions.
03. We provide following services with the help of occupational therapy unit, counselors and social workers,
|First floor (OPD building) – Clinic room No. 2
Telephone 0812388001 (Ext) 240
|Adult psychiatry clinic||Monday||08.00 am – 12.00 pm||Dr. G.S.S.R. Dias|
|Wednesday||08.00 am – 12.00 pm||Dr. (Mrs) Pabasiri Ginige|
|Thursday||08.00 am – 12.00 pm||Dr. (Mrs) Thilini Rajapaksha|
|Friday||08.00 am – 12.00 pm||Dr. D. Ariyasinghe|
|Sex Clinic||Monday||02.00 pm – 04.00 pm||Dr. G.S.S.R. Dias|
|Mental Retardation Clinic||Tuesday||08.00 am – 12.00 pm||Dr. (Mrs) Pabasiri Ginige|
|Alcohol Clinic||Wednesday||02.00 pm – 04.00 pm||Dr. (Mrs) Dewasmika Ariyasinghe|
|Child Psychiatry clinic||Friday||02.00 pm – 04.00 pm||Dr. (Mrs) Pabasiri Ginige|
|Clozapine Clinic||Saturday||08.00 am – 12.00 pm||Dr. G.S.S.R. Dias|