- Recruitment of voluntary non remunerated blood donors.
- Preparation of blood components such as platelet, fresh frozen plasma, cryoprecipitate, etc.
- Screening for transfusion transmitted infections such as HIV, Hepatitis B & C of collected blood.
- Cross matching and issuing of blood and blood components to patients.
- Blood grouping service for antenatal mothers.
- Therapeutic plasma exchange procedures.
- HLA cross match for patients who are awaiting renal transplant, in collaboration with blood bank of Teaching Hospital Kandy
- Teaching and Training program for Medical and MLT students
- Provide phenotypically matched blood for patients who are in need in collaboration with blood bank, Teaching Hospital Kandy
- Conduct awareness programs for clinical staff regarding rational use of blood and blood products
The Blood Bank of the hospital is responsible for collection (blood donation programs), testing (for blood transmitted disease), storage and preservation of blood and its components.
The Blood Bank was established in 1981. Since its establishment, it has managed recruitment of blood donors (from both in house and mobile blood collection programs), collection, processing and accreditation of all donated blood. This ensures that the requirement for blood product used in treatment of patients in TH Peradeniya, Dental Hospital, Sirimavo Bandaranaika Specialized Children Hospital and other surrounding Hospitals.
Our Team is led by a Medical Officer in charge. Consultant Transfusion Medicine of T.H. Kandy provides all required guidance to the Unit. We have well trained (at National blood transfusion centre) and experienced Medical Officers, Nursing Officers, Medical Laboratory Technologists, Public Health Inspectors and junior Staff in our team.
We are liaising with the National Blood Transfusion Centre of Sri Lanka for many purposes and work in collaboration with the Blood Bank of the T.H. Kandy.
We conduct Blood Donation Campaigns with the assistance of various Organizations and individuals in the Kandy District to ensure a healthy stock pile of blood.
Instructions to Public
We highly appreciate your voluntary donation of blood. If you are interested there are several ways to donate blood
- Donate at the blood bank of T.H. Peradeniya
- Participate in one of our or other hospital blood donation camp – blood donation camp calendar of TH Peradeniya
- By organizing a blood donation campaign in your area or institution.
Please contact Public Health Inspector (PHI) of blood bank of the Teaching Hospital Peradeniya for more information.
- Telephone +94812388261(Ext. 337 & 573)