- Ultrasound therapy for injuries such as muscle and tendon tears, capsular lesions, sprains, strains, etc.
- Short wave therapy for musculoskeletal conditions, inflammatory conditions, etc.
- Wax bath for hand and foot.
- Electrical stimulator (Faradic, IDC, Galvanic) for peripheral neuropathies, some oedematous conditions.
- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) and Interferential therapy as a pain relieving therapies.
Discipline of Physiotherapy employs physical methods such as massage, heat treatment and exercise to treat disease or injury. We provide Physiotherapy service for in house and clinic patients.
Department of Physical Medicine (DPM) was established in 1980. It is one of the first units that was established with the beginning of the TH Peradeniya. It started its service with one Physiotherapist and minimum equipment.
Today we have 8 skilled and experienced Physiotherapists. We possess the state of the art equipments and modern therapeutic modalities. Our outpatient treatment service is well established and has an excellent reputation.
Physiotherapy service includes individual assessment, treatment and a range of therapeutic interventions. We are specialized in providing services in wide range of medical specialities such as Neurology, Rheumatology, Orthopaedics, Paediatrics and sports injuries.
Mechanical Therapeutic Modalities,
- Mechanical traction for spine problems such as spondylolistesis, disc herniations, etc.
- Continuous Passive Motion (using CPM apparatus) for selective Orthopaedics (anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction), burns and neurological conditions. CPM facility is only available in TH Peradeniya and National Hospital of Sri Lanka.
- Suspension therapy.
- Therapeutic exercises (strengthening, stretching and passive motion).
- Joint mobilization and manipulation.
- Exercise for soft tissue injuries.
- Proprioceptive exercises and gait training exercises.
Instructions to Patients:
- To obtain Physiotherapy service, patient needs a referral letter from hospital clinics, OPD, or ward.
- To provide better service please bring your past medical records and investigation reports.
- It is mandatory to fix an appointment for treatment session and make sure to attend on the allocated date and time
- Working hours of the unit are,
|Outpatients||Monday to Friday||8.00 a.m. – 4.00p.m|
|Saturday||8.00 a.m. – 12noon|
|In ward patients||Monday to Sunday including public holidays|